Strolling Vienna

I know it is a brand New Year. 2016. But, I suppose to revisit a jolly moment in the past is never boring. So this visit goes like this below.
 
When I was living in Europe, I often wandered where to go for a weekend getaway. Then, one day Vienna popped up in my mind. A bit randomly I must admit. But, the birth place of Marie Antoinette which I often encounter only through books and magazines surely piques my interest.

So sometime in 2007, I jetted off to Vienna for a weekend getaway escaping myself from the razzle dazzle of London into a quiter mertropolis. Luckily, that time on Monday was a bank holiday in England, so I got one extra day to snooze. Whoop Whoop. 

Day 1
 
After checking in at the hotel, I decided to trundle along Stephenplatz, a big square in downtown Vienna. Stephenplatz is surrounded by cool shops inside the thousand years old quaint buildings. You can also see road made of the stones built during the Roman empire era. Pretty cool, huh!?! 
 
Stephenplatz is one of the must-go place in Vienna. It is connected to so many transport links in Vienna. Here, you can find the Stephansdom, Vienna's cathedral, the mother church of Roman Catholics Archdiosece of Vienna. 
 
The cathedral has ornately patterened richly coloured roof. Inside it there was this beautifully crafted baroque style high altar. You can also see a number of scluptures in Gothic style and paintings of Jesus and his family. 
 
I really enjoyed strolling around Stephanplatz and the atmosphere here was so lovely and had positive vibe. I was also very lucky that day as I bumped into a random stranger who gave me a nice orchestra concert ticket for free. Yep, I am dead serious. No fees at all. Apparently, the lady and her son could not make it to watch the concert that day. So, she gave me the tix (for two). Vielen dank!
 





Day 2

When I was a little girl I was introduced to a famous historical figure named Marie Antoinette by a Japanese comic book. Of course that book centers on how astonishing her life was. Apparently, she was born Austrian in Hofburg Palace, here in Vienna. So, without further ado I went for a trip to Hofburg Palace and the Sisi Museum which is located within the same place to see how her birthplace looks like.
 
The Hofburg Palace, like many palaces, has a huge, nicely trimmed gardens with artistic looking shapes of trees. Entering the Palace, you will be provided with the daily life of imperial family living in the past that once ruled Austria - Hungary empire. Here you can find a number of imperial apartments looking so grand and beautiful. The palace also has many museums, one of them is Sisi museum. In Sisi museum you can find personal belongings to the late Empress Elizabeth (Sisi) that may explain a little bit better about her personality.
 
A visit to historical Vienna is not complete without a visit to Schloss Schonbrunn Palace, the summer residence of the Empirial family. Another baroque style palace, Schonbrunn is a must visit. Beautiful exterior and interior have made Schonbrunn the chosen place for so many international film settings. In summer, a concert is also held in Schonbrunn. Inside the palace you can see many articles used by the emperial family including the bed of the late Empress Maria Teresa, the mother of Marie Antoinette.

After strolling around the palace for a few hours my feet felt so exhausted. So, I took time to enjoy late afternoon coffee and desert at Mozart cafe. Surprise, suprise the cake tasted so lushly delicious. And the coffee was also a top-notch! 
 

 



Day 3
 
It was sad to say goodbye but life is all about facing the reality and I suppose my reality had come knocking on my door. There was no other thing for me to do than to open that door and greeted it. So, there it was, the last day of my stay. I did not spend too much time in the city except to enjoy my lovely breakfast at the hotel and prepared myself to return back to London.
 
See you again Vienna, I surely will return!

0 comments:

Post a Comment