Jakarta's Charms in My Layman View

"Oh noooo, not another traffic!".

"Holy whack what is that smell?"

"How on earth does the road get even bumpier than before!".

"Hey you, don't you see...it's red...it means STOP! You idiot!".

Some of you may think or already point out at me that living and working in Jakarta or some calls it as the Big Durian equals to getting used to circumstances expressed above. Not to mention some other stuffs that can only bring you a headache.
 
But, is it really true that what Jakarta can offer is only the noise, pollution, bad traffic, and people who like swearing a lot?
 
I have to disagree on that case. Not because I am a Jakartan. But, truth be told, I learned a lot of lessons since I returned to this city almost 5 years ago. It may sound strange, but here are a few things I'd like to share with you about living in the Big Durian.

Jakarta is inspiring. Thanks to its newly elected governor, Mr. Ahok, Indonesians can see beyond race and religion for true leadership. At least  here, in Jakarta.

Jakarta is the heart of Indonesia's economy where ideas and investors meet. Hence, the malls, skyscrapers, eco-green projects and other new developments are continuously built to adorn its multi-cultural neighborhoods and arguably not so crystal clear blue sky. And this is just one example among  many.

Rest-assured, things in Jakarta are run at a fast speed. And guess what? Speedy lifestyle helps me to better focus on my job regardless of all the pressures thrown at me like there is no tomorrow. So, yes I get used to roll with the punches!

Jakarta is not for the faint of heart. Competition is what it can best serve you on your table. Don't start with the office affairs. Just, turn your chin a little bit and look down at its streets. Yes, I am talking about the heavily congested roads (not to mention the crazy Kopaja bus drivers and erratic moped drivers). 

Facing Jakarta's everyday street challenges to reach my office just shows how Jakarta molds me to be naturally tough. It challenges my level of patience to its highest point until I cannot believe that I can go that extra mile to reach my destination. Soon later, I began to practice this mindset to reach my goal in my day to day manic life. 

Nothing beats the food culture in Jakarta. Thanks to being the melting pot sanctuary in the country, I benefit a lot from the diversity of cuisines brought to my table from the farthest Western part to the lowest Eastern part of Indonesia. Fancy the succulently juicy mutton satay? I surely can have it from the low-key street food stall establishment to the swanky fine-dining vibrant restaurants. Simply put, my option is bountiful.
 
Jakarta's vibe gets me trully smitten. Take a look at my family. My dad and sister start early before the sun rises to go to work. My mother goes to the market to do her groceries just before dawn three times a week. Then late at night my dad and sister, who are both doctors working at different hospitals, arrive at home with zero complaint after the long tiring day. Oh, by the way, they sometimes perform surgical operation too on the weekend (if necessary).
 
Even though there are still poverties around town, children begging on the streets, and so-on and so-on. Jakarta, offers me opportunities to make a difference.

Knowing it does not always come twice, I  participated in teaching English for street kids with the team from my office. At first, I thought it would give me a good feeling to be able to help them and of course reach my own happiness. But, to my surprise it was me who  actually was helped.
 
Limited circumstances do not extinguish their enthusiasm in learning new things. Their roaring spirit proves that all this time I was wrong about happiness. It's not about what I do, or how much money I have or how perfect my family is. Happiness is a state of mind. Suddenly, that impulsive gut to indulge in luxury goods slowly disappears into thin air. Life makes so much more sense to me and I learn to appreciate things no matter how trivial it is. A life learned lesson I have never been taught anywhere else but here, in Jakarta.
 
So, if you're new to Jakarta, fret-not, it's not as scary as some people might warn you. Be friends with the Jakartans, get to know them and dig a little deeper about their city. I bet you, like me, will be mesmerized and improve the darker side of you in the right direction you've never thought you can be.
 
                                           (taken from Wikipedia's images)

0 comments:

Post a Comment