What the Pandemic Teaches Me

It's the month of November and it rains a lot here, like cats and dogs! But, this year, is not like any other years, as the pandemic is still looming albeit much under controlled. So, what are the lessons we can take from the pandemic?

For me, the answer is A LOT! Here are a few I can think of and share with you.


1.  Health.

Witnessing so many people got sick due to the bug and their sickness can get so serious they cannot even survive, made me realise health is not only important but is a luxury nowadays. We are forced to take health very seriously now and cannot take it as a light issue. Hence, I religiously take multivitamins on a daily basis, jog at least 3x a week and do yoga at least 1x a week.


2. Time is Short

When the delta variant broke out, never have I imagined that a lot of people could get infected (including myself and my daughter!). Praise heaven, we got mild symptoms and could get through the hump safe and sound. But, other people were not that lucky. The virus does not discriminate young or old. I lost a few friends who are young fathers with little children. It broke my heart, completely. But, it also made me realise how short time can be. Hence, I set aside my self-ego and begin to practise humility and put empathy for other people. 


3.  Fashion

As the world is cocooning itself, forcing people into lockdowns, making half of offices empty like a gloomy cemetery complex, I began to start a lifestyle of sustainable fashion. It's time to donate all those trendy clothes and stick with classic and minimalist style that can last forever. Not only it saves me the extra budget, but it's environmental friendly too. Why? Because it stops me from buying too many clothes and/or shoes that I may not often wear anyway (even though I have tons of wish list in my Pinterest). Re-wearing clothings and shoes from the past that still fit me is the new norm now. No more high-heels (sayonara Loubies, Choos, and my Badgley Mischka wedding shoes that I only wore once!), wedges, espadrilles and pencil skirts.


4.  Less Eating Out

Lockdowns force me to cook more often at home, well not that I suddenly acquire cooking skills like Jamie Oliver, but I have to admit cooking at home is much healthier and economical then eating outside. Pre-pandemic almost everyday I eat lunch and dinner outside. But, right now, whatever I can find on the fridge, I cook. Even though sometimes it taste like *meh.


5. More Mother-Daughter Time

Again, thanks to Lockdowns, companies now allow us to work from home at least twice a week. For me, it's such a blessing. I can play with my daughter at lunch break time and monitor her development progress. Oh speaking of progress, she already can count from 1 to 10 and she is not even 2 years old yet. 


6. Less Make-ups is the New Pretty

When I have to wear a mask every time I go out, I tend to avoid wearing lipstick and opt in for a thin make-ups to avoid any transfer of colour to my mask. Most meetings are held online anyway, so there is no point to put heavy make-ups. But, a little bit of Chanel Vitalumiere as the base and Chanel loose face powder are a must! A girl needs those two to lift up the mood. *wink


7. Appreciate Things in Life (big or small)

Like I said in #2 that time is short, I began to appreciate more on the things that happen around me. That include, having a kind-hearted live-in nanny who takes care of my daughter when I work, the beautiful flowers on big pots in my neighbourhood, my health and my big family's health (including my husband's and daughter's), and many other things (including  that stack of toilet paper!).


8. Online Meetings

Apparently, having online meetings and coordinate everything with my team through whatsapp and any other online multimedia are very do-able. Who would have thought that meetings through zoom or google meet are the new norm now. They are time efficient too as I do not have to spend time struggling with the pain of Jakarta's traffic jam.


9. Becoming the Outdoorsy Girl

To reduce the chance of contracting the virus, I prefer to do more activities outdoor. Even if it's only to have a small meet-up session with friends, I opt-in for a place with at least a semi-outdoor eating and drinking space. Hence, my frequency of visiting the mall has dropped down drastically. During these pandemic years, I only visit malls less than 20 times. 


10. Lack of Movie Theatre Visit

Unfortunately, since the pandemic hit, I have not visited any movie theatres. Even until now, when things are much under controlled, I am still the biggest wuss when it comes to movie theatres. The idea of watching a movie in a movie theatre knocks the stuffing out of me in a jiffy. Strange how things change, movie theatres are one of my aphrodisiac pre-pandemic time. Let see, maybe one day I re-visit movie theatres again.


What about you? How's the pandemic teaches you so far? whatever it is do not let lockdown forcing you to lose hope and get lazy. Surely, you don't want to end up like this Monalisa down here: *wink


from pinterest







     


0 comments:

Post a Comment