When You Stick Out to Your Guns...

This recovery process has turned my lifestyle mode from fast to slow if not very slow. With blood still dripping from my nose, on and off headache, and loss of appetite, I signed myself off into watching and listening to the news, hoping to get a bit of an entertainment to my suddenly not so blissful day. Boy, was I wrong on that assumption!

This unfolding political drama in my country is totally NOT amusing. Such an absolute ludicrousness if not monochromatic absurdity and cheap politics to really use race, religion and the likes  to achieve one's political goal. Some people, trust me, are really that thick!

Nonetheless, this political drama does succeed in proving me one thing: that people changes side on a speed of a bullet. Friends suddenly turn into enemies for silly reasons. Maturity suddenly disappears into thin air.

It made me think, hopefully not over-think (like I often do), to reaffirm things in life that I shall never change at whatever cost:

1.   On the election of Jakarta's numero uno, my heart, thought, prayer and hope only are dedicated solely to you, Pak Ahok. No matter how or when this political drama storyline will end.

2.   On religion, I will always keep my religious affairs personal. Insult me as you wish, but it won’t change me into a hater (or even block you in any of my social media). As Michelle Obama once said "when they go low, we go high". Enough said.

3.   On giving thanks, I will always express it in every opportunity life may bring. Be it in my everyday prayers or even in a blog post, which, in fact has been started since 2015. Thanks to my lovely pastor at my church who triggers my initiative into doing this and who never gets bored in reminding me of doing this.

4.   On freedom of expression, I am always bold in expressing my views (given that I always have an opinion on every topic brought to my table). But, I know politics is a sensitive matter. So, I will handle it with great care. Let's be civil and dare to be different, yes?

5.   On fashion style, hmmm....you must wonder why I even include this topic here. Truth be told, up to my teenage years, I went to a series of Catholic schools that use plaids and gingham pattern as their uniform. So, if I wear a plaid/gingham pattern, that obviously, can be a similar pattern to a political party "uniform" (you know which), that DOES NOT MEAN I am 100% in support of their political views. It's just so happen that plaids and gingham are patterns that I have followed since I was a kid and ditching them is not in my dictionary.   

6.   Talking about the-never-go-to-the-bin pattern, I am also keeping a small number of my stripes tees in my wardrobe. Just so you know that I am more influenced by Coco Chanel than any political party's fashion flair. Same goes with my designer-labelled shoes and handbags. Not to brag about it, but my late-grandma is the one who encouraged me into investing in them. She also thought me well about being frugal. Perhaps, because she was very much influenced by the Dutch people in the past (having educated and worked for them for a number of years). Her wisdom goes like this: it is better to have one classic and good quality designer stuff rather than buying 10 high-street fashion stuff that do not last a season.

7.    On relationships, I’ll never cut-off or worse, burn the bridges of a friendship, family tie, brotherhood, sisterhood, etc. just because a friend or a relative has a different political view. No way, that is just too narrow-minded.

8.   On travel and other luxuries, I am so mindful that my soul is always thirsty to see the world. So, I'd rather go globetrotting the universe than lingering in my hometown doing cheap politics.

9.     On fitness, I will keep running, gym, and some outdoor exercises as my routine. I believe in a healthy body there lies a healthy mind too. So, if you bring cheap politics on my table, please step aside. You know a healthy mind won't absorb your idiosyncrasy.

10.     On life in general, I will adhere to the spirit of positivity. So, if you still insist your cheap politics on my table, then be ready to have a change in mind. Cause you know what? a positive energy is contagious.

Overall, sticking out to my guns as I mentioned above, is a conscience decision that I made. And, really, I do not mind if for whatever reasons we no longer share the same beliefs, political views, fashion style, that passion to travel or to be healthy, I will still be delighted to be your friend. 

And that, of course, if you only allow me to. Because I know whatever happens, it will always be well with my soul, just like this song below:





0 comments:

Post a Comment